There are many reasons for starting an online tutoring company. The idea is just so exciting! If you’re on the fence about taking this leap, we’re giving you some food for thought.
You might want to consider starting your own tutoring company…
- Because you can! Now more than ever, you have the opportunity to start your own tutoring business with little to no overhead. In addition, new technologies exist available to most of us that allow you to connect with students across the globe.
- Because you may need more flexibility in your schedule. Whether you have family members that you need to take care of, you are looking for an opportunity to earn extra income while maintaining your full-time job, or because a 9 to 5 schedule just doesn’t work for you, tutoring online is a welcomed breathe of fresh air that allows you to move away from the antiquated office schedule.
- Because you have personal challenges that keep you from taking a position in-person at a company. Wanting to work but not being able to work can be so discouraging for people who are struggling with health issues. Having the opportunity to work in a field like education while still being able to protect your health, has been a wonderful gift for people who need to work from home and maintain access to the health resources. It’s so great that new technologies have provided flexible teaching options.
- Because you just left the classroom OR you are ready to leave the classroom. Most teachers choose the career because they are passionate about education and changing the lives of their students. And of course, “When you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet for your life…” – once a teacher always a teacher. What a great way to continue doing something that you are passionate about without bearing the load of being a classroom teacher.
- Because you want to be a teacher and help students, but you don’t have any desire to enter the world of formal education. Being a classroom has its rewards, however, it is a huge financial and time commitment. In addition, great intentions and drive can get stomped on by school politics, low wages, demanding schedules, time constraints, and the heavy emphasis on standardized tests being prioritized throughout the year.
- Because you are looking to use your teaching skills to create an additional revenue stream. We know a lot of teachers who work a second job and/or are always looking for a side hustle that can help them supplement their income. Educators don’t often earn high incomes, but they spend a lot of money on and time on their classrooms, students, professional development, etc. Why not start a teaching business that allows you to work from home?
- Because it is convenient and you have more control over your own time. With online tutoring, you no longer have to get in the car after your job and travel to the location of the students you tutor. This means saving money on gas, eliminating travel time, feeling safer, not having to travel with all your materials, and minimizing missed lessons.
- Because you can take your business with you wherever you go! You can work from home, while you travel, from your favorite cafe, or from your living room sofa. Being able to work when you need to and where you need to, makes life a lot less stressful.
- Because you want more control over how you teach. Many classrooms have become a lot more rigid and test-heavy, and sometimes this creates restrictions and limitations for teachers wanting to use more creative strategies or take more time with students. Having an online tutoring business means that you get to make the decisions and choose best practices for instructing your students.
- Because you are passionate about teaching and you want to be able to maximize the number of students who you can work with. With an online tutoring business, you no longer have to deal with the barriers created by distance. As long as you and your students have access to the internet, the sky’s the limit with regards to who you can help – your “reach” extends itself exponentially.
There are lots of reasons for you to take a leap of faith into the online tutoring world. You just have to figure out whether it’s something you want to choose for yourself. Make your own list to weigh the pros and cons, but know that this is something that you can either build slowly while you work full time or something you can jump in “full hog.” All you really need to know is that it is possible!